Coromandel Roadtrip Continued...


Waking up on the first morning of 2019, the sun was shining and we sat and had breakfast overlooking the harbour.  Plenty of coffees later, we set off on the next leg of our road trip. We had been freedom camping for a few nights now, so it was time to enjoy a campsite (and hopefully a swimming pool!).

The drive was absolutely stunning around this area, as we headed north, weaving up the coastline, we passed through Hahei, saw Cathedral Cove, and made a stop at Hot Water Beach to dig for hot spring water.

Campsites were looking chock-a-block and we started to lose hope of getting a decent spot for the night.  It was really hot and we just wanted some facilities, a swimming pool and a good shower (not much to ask!).

Pulling into Cook’s Beach, we spotted a very fancy looking campsite and bagged the very last space on the resort!  Within an hour we were chilling out in the pool and cooling off.  The facilities here were amazing, so we cooked a BBQ that night, had another late evening swim and got ourselves ready to depart the next day.  But to be fair, we didn’t want to leave, so we extended our stay and had an awesome time seeing the local area and again swimming, back at the resort.

It has to be said, that the beaches in this area, were completely breath-taking!  From Cathedral Cove and its iconic rock formations, to Flaxmill Bay and the beautiful Cook’s Beach, this whole place is just so damn pretty.  The Agapanthus grows wild here and contrast with the colours of the ocean.  Stunning stuff!

With the urge to continue our coastal road trip, we cracked on the next day towards Whitianga.  This was a bigger resort, with a vibrant village centre and a little harbour.  We arrived on market day and started to settle in.

The first night, we spent in the heart of the town, which was great on one hand as it was near an amazing park, which made Finley very happy, but on the other hand, it was just really a car park.  We were determined to bag one of the few freedom camping spots right overlooking Buffalo Beach.  The next morning, we got up early, and boom!  There was a spot, just for us!  Perfect. 

Fin was getting more and more confident in the sea, so we went surfing a couple of times on Buffalo Beach.  It was really beautiful here.

It also turned out to be a good spot for fishing.  We went down to the wharf, and caught our first little ‘spotty’ fish.  We quickly let him back into the water, and went to celebrate with a fish and chip supper!

The last evening at Buffalo Beach, we were sat watching the waves roll in as the sun set.  Fin was wrapped in a blanket on his dad’s knee.  He looked up and spotted a shooting star!  He told us right away, and there it was!  A great big flare in the sky, with a very definite trail.  It lasted for quite a long time and we couldn’t believe our eyes.  Fin was super excited, that he’d been the first to spot the shooting star and we all made a wish.

It was only a few days later that we saw the local news; it turned out lots of people saw this phenomenon that night, hailed to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ sighting!  Amazing stuff!  The most likely explanation was that it was Russian space junk from a satellite, but whatever it was, it really was a really special moment, we will never forget!



Jen Skehan